Sunday, January 04, 2009

Holidays are over. :(

Last day of the holidays. I shouldn't be sad, there are lots of great things happening at work. But still, it's quite nice wake up whenever you want and do whatever you want. Lots of reading and knitting and shopping and mooching and I even managed to get a bunch of chores out of the way so I feel pretty satisfied.

The first cable glove is done bar the seaming, I am very pleased with how it came out and doing the thumb wasn't as scary as I anticipated. The blanket is also proceeding apace, I have worked out how the pattern grows which means I can work out where the yo's etc go without counting every single stitch.

Someone lent me the first two Twilight books which are definitely interfering with my knitting time. I've read them once before but from memory I was unimpressed with the second book and never bothered reading the rest of the series. Now it's such a big fuss with the movie and all that I thought I would give them another shot. The first was as good as I remembered, much better than the movie which doesn't quite convey Bella's acerbic and amusing narrative style. Just starting New Moon. The annoying thing will then be whether I can wait on the reserve list for Eclipse at the library...or cave and spend $20 on the book instead of the yummy Malabrigo yarn I have been virtuously resisting. This budgeting/saving business is hard.

2 comments:

La Duchesse said...

Maybe I'll be drummed out of Blogger for saying this, but... d'you get the sense that some books are a bit... contagious for no good reason? I haven't read them and I'm not sure I'll succumb to yet another trend and read them, especially since the heroine is reputed to be such a dunderhead. :P
I'd take yarn over a trashy book any day! The benefits are so much longer lasting... but that's just me.

Linda Moore said...

Hmmm....I think there's something to be said for books that may not have great literary merit but still provide an engaging read and are something more than the average trashy teen series.

As a former YA librarian, I saw plenty of books that had teen times the literary value of Twilight. But some of them were so difficult to read even I (English Lit major and all) felt put off. Great to study, not great for escapism. But the good news is, some teen who hasn't visited the library in years finishes the Twilight series, comes in asking what to read next, and you can point them towards other great authors such as Isobelle Carmody. A bit like the Harry Potter phenomenon.

As for me....I love my escapism and am a sucker for vampires (haha). Big plans for both reading and knitting in front of LotR this weekend!

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com